I’m a lucky lady, celebrating my birthday today. Even though the weather is gloomy outside – I’m going to try to celebrate it to the fullest inside! (Side-note – I really think that employers should give you your birthday off – it’s only fair, right??!!) My “boys” (aka my husband) left me my first birthday card of the day in the diaper drawer where they/he knew I’d find it. (…finding a birthday card in the diaper drawer…a true sign that you’re a mother of toddlers!) I’m looking forward to fun night celebrating with all my boys going out for dinner.
Baby Signs
The daycare where my sister used to work used sign language with the younger children as a form of early communication. I have always found the concept very interesting. We don’t go overboard with signing but use a couple basic signs to help the boys communicate with us & each other. We always say the words aloud that the signs mean while we are making the sign to hopefully encourage the use of both words & signs.
Our current signs: “More”, “All Done” & “Please”.
More
This is the first sign the boys picked up on. Instead of tapping their fingers together, the boys do more of a clap with their hands but we know what they mean. They use this sign mostly during meal times.
All Done
This is a sign the boys really haven’t picked up on even though we use it with them all the time (although maybe that’s because I have “bottom-less pits” of children who are truly not wanting to be “all done” at meal time).
Please
The boys picked up the quickest on this sign. The cutest part is that they even use it with each other (…very rarely though, usually if one has something the other one wants they resort to just grabbing it!). They use it correctly – especially when “asking” for things they aren’t supposed to have like the remote or mommy/daddy’s cell phone!
Our next signs to tackle: “Thank You”, “Milk” & “Eat/Food”.


No comments:
Post a Comment